Cracked Skin: Causes And RemediesOctober 18, 2021
How To Get Rid Of Cracked Skin?
Best Natural Remedies
Cracked skin is one of the most common beauty issues we face during winter, and some people even experience it all year round. Due to lack of adequate moisture, you can get cracked skin on face, hands, legs and feet in the long run. While in most cases, using a suitable moisturizer suffices, sometimes you may require additional steps to get rid of cracked skin.
Causes Of Cracked Skin Condition
1. Extreme Weather - During winters, the humidity levels in the atmosphere drop which leaves our skin dehydrated. Even spending long hours in an air-conditioned environment can have a similar effect on our skin in summer.
2. Dry Skin - Some people have naturally dry skin which leaves their skin thirsty for moisture around the year. Dry skin is most prone to cracking when it is not consistently hydrated or nourished.
3. Damaged Skin Barrier - Unsuitable skin care products, irregular skin care routine, or even using hot water for bathing regularly can irritate the skin’s protective barrier. This can leave your skin parched and may lead to cracked skin on hands and legs.
4. Skin Disorders - Certain skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis can also lead to extreme dryness in some parts of the body. It forms dry, scaly patches which can turn into cracked skin on legs, face and hands.
5. Frequent Cleansing - Sometimes we need to wash our hands often and sanitize them frequently. This can cause cracked skin on hands if not followed up with hand cream.
11 Ways To Get Rid Of Cracked Skin
1. Moisturize Daily
Pick an organic moisturizer that is rich in emollients like kokum butter, jojoba oil, mango butter, etc. They help nourish cracked skin on feet, hands, legs and face and prevent moisture loss. Use them every day after cleansing your skin to keep it moisturized.
2. Exfoliate Dead Skin
Cracked, flaky skin is often a result of dead skin buildup. Removing this dead skin buildup not only improves the texture of your skin, but also enhances the penetration of moisturizers. Exfoliate your skin once or twice a week, especially if you have dry, cracked skin on legs and feet.
3. Cover Up Your Skin
During winters, you can prevent your skin from drying out by keeping it covered. If you have cracked skin on hands, wear gloves to minimize your skin’s contact with dry air. If you have cracked skin on feet, wear warm socks to protect them. You can also use utility gloves while doing your chores to prevent your skin from getting in contact with allergens and irritants.
4. Avoid Skin Irritants
Skin care products as well as home care products (like dishwashing liquids / detergents) may contain ingredients that are not suitable for your skin. Switch to cleansers made with saponified oils or natural surfactants. Prefer moisturizers that are formulated especially for dry and sensitive skin.
5. Use A Hand And Foot Cream
If you have cracked heels or rough hands, try an organic hand and foot cream to provide intense nourishment to your skin and promote wound-healing.
7. Use Lukewarm Water
While showering or washing your face, use either lukewarm or warm water. Using very cold or hot water can dry out your skin. Avoid long showers as they can aggravate dry skin. Apply organic body butter to seal the moisture on your skin.
8. Use A Humidifier
If you live in a cold, dry climate, invest in a humidifier to prevent dry skin.
9. Choose Soothing Ingredients
Natural oils and botanical extracts have anti-inflammatory properties which calm and soothe dry, irritated skin. Prefer ingredients like jojoba oil, chamomile, calendula, aloe vera, coconut oil, etc.
10. Wear Lip Balm
The skin on your lips has no sebaceous glands and hence, your lips can also get dry and cracked easily. Use an organic lip balm every day to keep your lips nourished, soft and plump.
11. Consult A Dermatologist
If all these tips for dry, cracked skin don’t work, visit a dermatologist for their professional advice. They will help diagnose any health or skin conditions responsible for cracked skin and suggest the next steps to repair it.
Home Remedies For Cracked Skin
DIY Mint Foot Scrub -
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed, dried mint leaves
- In a clean, dry bowl, mix all the ingredients together.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10-15 minutes to soften them.
- Pat your feet dry and massage the prepared scrub on them. Use gentle, circular motions to spread the scrub all over your legs and soles of your feet.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- Follow with an organic foot cream.
Note - If mint is sensitising on your skin, substitute it with powdered rose petals.
DIY Hand And Foot Mask -
- 2 tablespoons finely powdered oats
- 1 teaspoon organic jojoba oil
- 1 teaspoon vegetable glycerine
- Organic rose water
- In a clean, dry bowl, mix all the ingredients together with enough rose water to turn the mixture into a smooth paste.
- Apply the prepared mask on your hands and feet. Wait for it to dry.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a soft cloth.
- Follow with an organic hand and foot cream.
DIY Nourishing Ubtan -
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon sweet almond oil
- Pinch of turmeric
- Fresh coconut milk
- In a clean, dry bowl, mix all the ingredients together with enough coconut milk to get a smooth, runny paste.
- Apply the prepared ubtan on your entire body and wait for it to dry.
- Spray some hydrosol or water on the dried ubtan to re-hydrate it and soften it for easy removal. Massage the dampened ubtan on your skin in gentle, circular motions.
- Take a shower to rinse it off. Do not use soap.
- Pat dry and follow with an organic body butter.
Note - Always patch test home remedies before using them.
Juicy Chemistry Products That Reduce Cracked Skin
- Kokum, Myrrh & Hazelnut Hand & Foot Cream is an organic hand and foot cream that deeply moisturizes your hands and feet to prevent and repair cracked skin.
Fig, Vanilla & Blood Orange Organic Body Butter is a nourishing body moisturiser for cracked skin on legs and hands. It is formulated especially to reduce dryness and keep your skin barrier moisturised.
- Papaya, Apricot & Mandarin Organic Soap is a natural superfatted soap that cleanses gently and prevents dryness and moisture-loss.
- Hazelnut, Coffee & Chocolate Face & Body Scrub is a moisturising face and body scrub with emollients and gentle physical exfoliants to get rid of dead skin cells.
- Damask Rose & Fig Lip Balm is a rich lip butter that nourishes cracked skin on lips.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use cold pressed oils to prevent cracked skin?
Yes, cold pressed oils have excellent moisturising and occlusive properties that can help keep your skin soft and moisturised.
How to repair cracked heels?
Wear soft and comfortable footwear, exfoliate your feet on a bi-weekly basis and apply our organic foot cream every night to prevent and repair cracked heels.
Can I use hand and foot cream for cracked elbows too?
Yes, our organic hand and foot cream is formulated for nourishing rough, dry skin and can be used all over your body, even on cracked elbows and knees.
How often should I use organic hand and foot cream?
You can use it as frequently as you like during the day to keep your hands and feet moisturised.