How to use Turmeric for AcneJuly 27, 2021
How to use turmeric for acne?
Turmeric has been used in Ayurveda for its medicinal benefits for ages. It is not just a valued spice in Southeast Asian cuisine, but it is also used in every religious and spiritual ceremony. Due to its bright yellow colour, turmeric is also referred to as ‘Indian Saffron’ in some regions of the world.
The main component of turmeric root is turmeric oil due to the presence of curcumin and curcuminoids which exhibit powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant properties in your body, skin and mind, respectively.
Turmeric Benefits for Skin
It reduces Acne
How is turmeric good for acne? Research indicates that the anti-microbial properties of turmeric show a significant reduction in most types of acne, both in cases of oral consumption of turmeric and its supplements, as well as topical application of turmeric serum and oil on the skin.
It is Anti-inflammatory
Turmeric benefits the skin as curcumin compounds present in turmeric soothe inflammation and promotes wound healing.
It is a Natural Antiseptic
Turmeric is used in many South Asian countries as an antibacterial agent to provide relief in cuts, burns, bruises and skin infections.
It protects against sun damage
Of all turmeric uses in the beauty industry, the most important one is in the formulation of sunscreens due to its broad-spectrum antioxidant range that protects skin from sun damage and oxidative stress.
It improves complexion
Turmeric-based face and body masks are applied on the skin of the bride and groom before the wedding to brighten skin tone and boost glow. You can also use turmeric for acne scars.
How to Use Turmeric for Acne?
DIY Turmeric Mask For Reducing Facial Acne
- In a clean bowl, take 1 teaspoon of Multani mitti, which is also known as fuller earth clay.
- Add a pinch of organic turmeric powder to the clay.
- Now add enough Juicy Chemistry Australian Tea Tree & Basil Water Toner to create a paste. This toner is specially formulated to reduce acne and inflammation.
- Apply a thin layer of this paste on your face. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off gently using lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel
DIY Turmeric Body Oil For Reducing Body Acne
- Take a clean and dry glass bottle, and fill it with Juicy Chemistry Cold Pressed Jojoba Carrier Oil. The natural waxes in jojoba oil are similar in chemistry to the natural oil produced by our skin. Hence, jojoba oil penetrates into the skin easily. It moisturises deeply and adds a natural sheen to skin and hair.
- Add a piece of dried turmeric root to the bottle and close the bottle cap tightly.
- Keep this bottle in sunlight for a month. The solar energy generated from sunlight will gently heat the bottle to extract the bioactive components of turmeric into jojoba oil while keeping all the heat-sensitive compounds of both ingredients intact.
- After taking a bath with one of our certified organic soap bars for acne-prone skin, use the prepared body oil as a daytime moisturiser or as a night-time body massage oil.
- Jojoba Oil can be substituted with our cold-pressed argan carrier oil for intensely moisturising dry and flaky skin.
- This recipe can be made more effective and aromatic by adding a few drops of our Australian Tea Tree Essential Oil and Tuscany Lemon Essential Oil which promote blood circulation in the skin and keep congestion at bay.
- Patch-test the prepared body oil on your inner arm to test for sensitivity and redness, before applying it to the rest of your body.
Juicy Chemistry's Products With Turmeric For Acne
This Ecocert Cosmos certified potent turmeric serum is made with only cellular extracts of willow bark, pineapple white tea and turmeric. It gently exfoliates skin to reduce congestion and fights acne-causing bacteria to give you a clear skin tone.
The acne serum is also a potent spot treatment that reduces the size of acne lesions. It is a naturally active serum that can be used every day to keep acne in check.
Frankincense and Hemp Facial Oil
Our Frankincense & Hemp Facial Oil contains turmeric oil and is formulated especially for oily and acne-prone skin types to control blemishes. It has Hemp Seed, Safflower Seed, and Argan oil which protect, nourish and moisturise the skin without clogging your pores
Which skin types benefit the most from using turmeric?
Turmeric is a versatile ingredient that suits all skin types. However, patch test every new remedy or product in a small portion of your skin or inner arm before applying it to your entire face and body. Discontinue using the remedy in case of any redness or irritation.
What is the shelf life of DIY turmeric remedies?
If your chosen remedy contains moisture in any form – water, flower waters, aloe vera gel, etc. make the remedy fresh as and when needed. Do not store bulk quantities in the refrigerator.
Natural ingredients work best when they are fresh and potent. For prolonging the shelf-life of oil blends, store them in dark bottles or keep them in a dark place on your shelf after the infusion process to prevent oxidation. Make sure that water does not get inside the bottles.