Pigmentation Around Mouth: Causes, Prevention, And RemediesJuly 26, 2021
Everything You Need To Know About Pigmentation Around Mouth
A lot of us often face uneven skin tone around the mouth. This discoloration is termed pigmentation. In fact, it is most common amongst Indian skin tones owing to the Indian climate.
There are various reasons that lead to discoloration in different parts of the skin and here we are going to cover all about pigmentation around mouth.
Causes of Pigmentation around Mouth
Let us have a look at some of the most common reasons for pigmentation around mouth:
Long Exposure To The Sun
The color of our skin is determined by a pigment called melanin. Long exposure to the sun alerts the body to produce more melanin to make sure of the overall protection of the skin. This excess release of melanin is what leads to such hyperpigmentation.
Spreading of Melasma
A common form of hyperpigmentation, melasma usually appears on larger skin areas and the face is one of the most usual regions where it can be spotted. As mentioned in one of the medical articles by Harvard Medical School -melasma usually takes place due to hormonal changes and so it is most often seen in pregnant women.
Certain forms of drugs used can also trigger hyperpigmentation as a side effect. It varies from one skin type to the other. Therefore, it is best advised that you take proper consultation from your dermatologist when you see skin discoloration taking place as a result of medication.
Other Skin conditions
Certain skin conditions like Haemochromatosis and Addison’s disease may lead to upper lip pigmentation as well. As per this article on Addison’s disease - it causes changes in other parts of the body too and has a significant impact on the adrenal glands. Haemochromatosis is a condition that leads to producing more iron in the body, which eventually leads to uneven skin.
Ways To Get Rid Of Pigmentation Around Mouth
Here are some remedies that can prove to be beneficial in controlling its reappearance. A patch test is recommended for all of these products before use:
Aloe is well known for its soothing properties but aloin rich aloe vera also plays an effective role in getting rid of the pigmentation around your mouth. You can make an easy DIY at home with 2 teaspoons of fresh aloe vera gel and 3 teaspoons of grounded coffee powder - apply it and leave it for 15 minutes before you rinse it off.
Dead skin cells, when not removed from time to time, can make skin appear dull and dehydrated. Regular scrubbing is the perfect way of getting rid of those dead skin cells, and you can do so with a simple homemade scrub - add half a spoon of oatmeal and 1 teaspoon of rose water - apply the mix on face & neck and scrub for a couple of minutes and then can rinse it off with lukewarm water. We recommend using this scrub twice a week preferably at night when skin goes into repair mode.
Papaya has many beneficial properties. According to research done on Traditional and Medical uses of Carica Papaya - It consists of Vitamin C and A and an enzyme called Papain which acts as an exfoliator to get rid of upper lip pigmentation. It propagates the regeneration of new cells. One of the simplest mixtures that you can make is to take 2 spoons of papaya paste and mix it with a little rose water. Once the paste is thick enough, you can apply it like a face mask and then rinse it off once it begins to dry..
Potatoes have anti bleaching properties and essential vitamins and minerals which helps in the removal of acne pigmentation or blemishes. You can make a simple paste of the juice that you get from grated potato and dried orange peel powder. Pour the mixture onto an ice tray and freeze it. After some time, take the frozen cubes of the mixture and gently massage it over a cleansed face and neck. Then rinse it off followed by your preferred toner and facial oil.
Also known as besan, it has excellent properties that help in the absorption of oil and thus propagate cleansing of the skin. Make a mixture that consists of two tablespoons of gram flour and rose water to make it into a paste. Apply it to the pigmented region around your mouth, let it stay for 10 minutes, and then rinse it off once it has dried up.
Reduce Mouth Pigmentation with Juicy Chemistry
- Cleanse, Cleanse, Cleanse: Our antioxidant rich face wash can be your go-to cleanser, to begin with your skincare regime. Its formula with enriching antioxidant properties helps promote even skin tone.
- Toner: A toner has many beneficial features such as controlling profuse sebum production, tightening up pores, and maintaining pH level of the skin. Since one of the many causes of upper lip pigmentation is sun exposure – you can opt for our revitalizing toner which is very effective for sensitive skin and provides much-needed nourishment and glow.
- Scrubbing: Prolonged presence of dead skin cells does not allow the serums or moisturizer that you apply to penetrate deep into the skin cells. Therefore, it is essential for you to gently exfoliate twice a week to remove them which would help in better absorption of other skincare products. You can use one of our certified organic scrubs.
- Face Mask: As we have already mentioned earlier, Vitamin C and mixtures rich in antioxidants can be very beneficial for the uniform maintenance of your skin’s health and prevent the appearance of pigmentation. You can try our Vitamin C enriched mask which consists of dried Kakadu plum powder - a potent source of Vitamin C. It effectively helps to even out the pigmentation overtime and also helps in restoring the natural glow.
- Facial Oil: This is one skincare essential that can bring in a much-needed change in your skin. Try this night facial oil which is formulated with antioxidant & essential fatty acids rich oils and helps evening out discoloration on skin.
Frequently Asked Questions!
How long does it take to reduce pigmentation?
Pigmentation takes a lot of time. It is something that has unfolded over the years. It is important that you regularly follow your skincare regime to see the results you want along with following a healthy lifestyle..
How to select the right products for skin pigmentation?
It depends on the skin type and therefore varies from person to person. It is best if you consult your dermatologist who will know your skin the best and will give you the right recommendations.