Carrot is a root vegetable that comes in different varieties according to the environment it is grown in. India usually sees orange carrots in summer and red carrots in winter. Irrespective of their types, carrots are brimming with nutrients that are beneficial for our skin and body. Some of these nutrients are more dominant when consumed internally, while some provide topical benefits as well. Lets see how eating and applying carrot benefits our skin internally and externally.
SKIN BENEFITS OF EATING CARROT
It protects against sun damage
Carrots are rich in compounds called carotenoids. Research indicates that a diet rich in carotenoids protects our skin against UV damage and sunlight.
It is rich in Vitamin A
Beta-carotene is the main carotenoid found in carrots. It provides the carrot it’s red and orange hue, and our body converts it into Vitamin A which improves skin and eye health.
It is rich in Vitamin C
Vitamin C is a water-soluble nutrient which is found abundantly in carrot juice. It protects our skin from free radical damage and promotes collagen synthesis.
It improves cell turnover
According to a study, dietary intake of carrot root and carrot peels improves cell turnover which is a natural process performed by our body to replace dead skin with new and healthy skin cells.
It brightens complexion
Research indicates that phenolic compounds called umbelliferones found in carrot reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation in the skin and promote antioxidant activity while providing added UV protection.
It reduces inflammation
According to a study, polyphenols such as polyacetylenes in carrots reduce allergic inflammation in the body and support skin health.
It has anti-ageing benefits
Phenolic compounds and polyphenols in carrots are proven to possess anti-ageing properties by functioning as free-radical scavengers.
It reduces pimples
Carrot is rich in phytochemicals called polyacetylenes. Recent studies on polyacetylenes have proven their potential of providing anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to the body, thereby reducing pimples on our skin.
It prevents cell degeneration
According to a study, beta-carotene extracted from carrot juice can drastically decelerate skin damage in people who live stressful lifestyles and those who smoke regularly.
It reduces redness and scarring
The potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity in carrot juice along with the presence of potassium and vitamin a reduce redness in the skin and improve the appearance of scars and blemishes.
HOW TO USE CARROT FOR SKIN CARE?
Carrot mask for skin brightening
- Take 1 teaspoon of wheat bran in a clean bowl. You may also use our Kakadu Plum, Matcha and Blood Orange Vitamin C rich face mask for added face brightening benefits.
- Juice a medium size carrot. Add enough carrot juice to the dry ingredients to make a spreadable paste.
- Apply a thin layer of this paste on your face and neck. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off gently using lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Note – Patch test the prepared mask on your inner arm to test for sensitivity and redness, before applying it to your face.
Carrot oil for moisturizing skin
- Wash and peel a carrot. And slice it in thin circles with a knife or using a mandoline slicer.
- Lay the carrot slices on a clean cloth and let them dehydrate completely under sunlight for 3-4 days, or till the moisture from the carrot slices completely evaporates.
- Add the dehydrated carrot slices in a clean and dry glass jar, and fill the jar with our cold pressed jojoba carrier oil.
- Close the lid of the jar tightly, and keep it in sunlight for a month.
- After the infusion period is over, strain the oil into a clean and dry bottle.
The sunlight gently heats the carrots and releases its antioxidants into the oil. This carrot body oil can be used to moisturize skin after bath, or as a body massage oil before sleeping.
Note – Patch test the prepared blend on your inner arm to test for sensitivity and redness, before applying it to the rest of your body.
THINGS TO REMEMBER WHILE USING CARROT REMEDIES FOR SKIN
- Moisturize your skin after masking to complete the regime and to strengthen your skin’s protective barrier.
- Discontinue using ingredients or products that cause sensitivity, rash, itching or redness on your skin.
- While using remedies containing ingredients that are brightening or clarifying in nature, prevent sun exposure as much as possible for gaining maximum benefits from these ingredients. Use our Camellia and Red Raspberry Certified Natural Sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
- Be consistent with your chosen remedy and routine. Natural ingredients often work slowly, but steadily.
- Do not use ingredients that you are allergic to.
- Natural ingredients are gentle. But it is important not to overdo masking to keep the skin barrier intact. Stick to masking once or twice a week.
- Do not use stale or oxidized carrot. Natural ingredients give maximum results when they are used fresh.
- Do not make home remedies in bulk and store them in the refrigerator. Products containing moisture can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Do not apply too much pressure on your skin while rinsing off masks, especially if you have active acne or bumps on your face. Be gentle.
JUICY CHEMISTRY PRODUCTS WITH CARROT EXTRACT AND CARROT SEED OIL
Carrot, Rosehip and Neroli Organic Soap
It is a certified natural soap which is handmade with organic plant oils using the cold-process method of saponification. Saponified Olive Oil, Shea Butter and Mango Seed Butters cleanse gently and leave your skin moisturized, Carrot extract and Rosehip Seed Oil repair sun damage and reduce the appearance of scars, and Neroli and Patchouli Essential Oils provide antioxidant properties to the skin.
Australian Sandalwood and Myrrh Night Cream
It is a rich and nourishing formula made with Pomegranate Seed, Carrot Seed and Argan Oils to moisturize dry skin, Vitamin E to repair skin barrier and Sandalwood, Lavender and Myrrh Essential Oils to soothe inflammation and protect the skin from oxidative stress.
Helichrysum and Rosehip Facial Oil
It is a fast-absorbing facial oil meant for night-time application. It has Rosehip and Carrot Seed Oils that repair sun-damaged skin, and Neroli, Helichrysum and Frankincense Essential Oils that stimulate blood circulation.