Benefits Of Carrot For Skin Care
Carrot is a root vegetable that comes in different varieties according to the environment it is grown in. India usually sees orange carrots in summer and red carrots in winter.
Irrespective of their types, carrots are brimming with nutrients that are beneficial for our skin and body. Some of these nutrients are more dominant when consumed internally, while some provide topical benefits as well. So the benefits of carrot for skin can be utilised by applying it topically as well.
Carrot Benefits for Skin
1.It Protects Against Sun Damage
Carrots are rich in compounds called carotenoids. Research indicates that a diet rich in carotenoids protects our skin against UV damage and sunlight.
2.It Is Rich In Vitamin A
Beta-carotene is the main carotenoid found in carrots. It provides the carrot with its red and orange hue, and our body converts it into Vitamin A which improves skin and eye health.
3.It Is Rich In Vitamin C
Some carrot benefits for skin are owed to its Vitamin C content. Vitamin C is a water-soluble nutrient which is found abundantly in carrot juice. It protects our skin from free radical damage and promotes collagen synthesis while reducing hyperpigmentation.
4.It Improves Cell Turnover
According to a study, dietary intake of carrot root and carrot peels improves cell turnover which is a natural process performed by our body to replace dead skin with new and healthy skin cells.
5.It Brightens The Complexion
Research indicates that phenolic compounds called umbelliferous found in carrot juice benefits skin by reducing the appearance of hyperpigmentation in the skin and promoting antioxidant activity while providing added UV protection.
6.It Reduces Inflammation
According to a study, polyphenols such as polyacetylenes in carrots reduce allergic inflammation in the body and support skin health.
7.It Has Anti-Ageing Benefits
Phenolic compounds and polyphenols in carrots are also well-known to possess anti-ageing properties by functioning as free-radical scavengers.
8.It Reduces Pimples
Carrot juice benefits the skin as it is rich in phytochemicals called polyacetylenes. Recent studies on polyacetylenes have proven their potential of providing anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to the body, thereby reducing pimples on our skin.
9.It Prevents Cell Degeneration
According to a study, beta-carotene extracted from carrot juice can drastically decelerate skin damage in people who live stressful lifestyles and those who smoke regularly.
10.It Reduces Redness And Scarring
The potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity in carrot juice along with the presence of potassium and vitamin reduce redness in the skin and improve the appearance of scars and blemishes.
How To Use Benefits of Carrots For Skin Care?
Carrot Mask For Skin Brightening
Take 1 teaspoon of wheat bran in a clean bowl. You may also use our Kakadu Plum, Matcha and Blood Orange Vitamin C-rich face mask for added face brightening benefits.
- Juice a medium-sized carrot. Add enough carrot juice to the dry ingredients to make a spreadable paste.
- Apply a thin layer of this paste to your face and neck. Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off gently using lukewarm water and pat your skin dry with a soft towel.
Note – Patch test the prepared mask on your inner arm to test for sensitivity and redness, before applying it to your face.
Carrot Oil For Moisturising Skin
- Wash and peel a carrot. And slice it in thin circles with a knife or using a mandoline slicer.
- Lay the carrot slices on a clean cloth and let them dehydrate completely under sunlight for 3-4 days, or till the moisture from the carrot slices completely evaporates.
- Add the dehydrated carrot slices to a clean and dry glass jar, and fill the jar with our cold-pressed jojoba carrier oil.
- Close the lid of the jar tightly, and keep it in sunlight for a month.
- After the infusion period is over, strain the oil into a clean and dry bottle.
The sunlight gently heats the carrots and releases their antioxidants into the oil. This carrot body oil can be used to moisturise skin after a bath, or as a body massage oil before sleeping.
Note – Patch test the prepared blend on your inner arm to test for sensitivity and redness, before applying it to the rest of your body.
Things To Remember While Using Carrot For Skin Benefits
- Moisturise your skin after masking to complete the regime and to strengthen your skin’s protective barrier.
- Discontinue using ingredients or products that cause sensitivity, rash, itching or redness on your skin.
- While using remedies containing ingredients that are brightening or clarifying in nature, prevent sun exposure as much as possible for gaining maximum benefits from these ingredients.
- Be consistent with your chosen remedy and routine to see the benefits of carrots for the skin. Natural ingredients often work slowly, but steadily.
- Do not use ingredients that you are allergic to.
- Natural ingredients are gentle. But it is important not to overdo masking to keep the skin barrier intact. Stick to masking once or twice a week.
- Do not use stale or oxidised carrots. Natural ingredients give maximum results when they are used fresh.
- Do not make home remedies in bulk and store them in the refrigerator. Products containing moisture can be a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Do not apply too much pressure on your skin while rinsing off masks, especially if you have active acne or bumps on your face. Be gentle.
Juicy Chemistry Products With Carrot Juice And Carrot Seed Oil
It is a certified organic soap which is handmade with organic plant oils using the cold-process method of saponification. Saponified Olive Oil, Shea Butter and Mango Seed Butters cleanse gently and leave your skin moisturised, Carrot extract and Rosehip Seed Oil repair sun damage and reduce the appearance of scars, and Neroli and Patchouli Essential Oils provide antioxidant properties to the skin.
View this post on Instagram
It is a fast-absorbing organic face oil meant for the evening skincare routine. It has Rosehip and Carrot Seed Oils that repair sun-damaged skin, and Neroli, Helichrysum and Frankincense Essential Oils that stimulate blood circulation.
All JC products are certified organic by Ecocert France as per COSMOS V3 standards.
Can the Carrot, Rosehip and Neroli Organic Soap be used on the face?
Yes. Our organic soaps are handmade with organic plant oils that cleanse gently and leave the skin moisturised. They are gentle on your face as well as your body.
How long does it take to show results after using carrot juice?
Our skin experiences months of wear and tear before it starts showing signs of concern. Hence, the time taken by any natural remedy to show visible results depends on how deep the concern goes into your skin.
When it comes to using natural ingredients for face brightening, scar healing or reducing sun damage, consistency and patience are key.