Essential Oils are a real game-changer these days. They change the whole perspective of aromatherapy. Few of these are sleep-inducing, some mood-lifting, relieve anxiety, essential for hair or skin too. Many of them use essential oil for hair growth as well.
What are Essential Oils?
In layman’s terms, oils are obtained by flowers, leaves, plants, fruits, fruit peels, bark, roots, seeds, etc. Essential Oils basically pick the actual essence. This essence is of a particular plant or leaf and that gives us added benefits. Essential oils retain the properties of that particular plant or its part. It is highly concentrated/potent in nature hence dilution with a carrier oil is necessary. We recommend that the ratio of essential oil used should be less than 1% of the total concoction.
There are various methods like steam, water, simple, fractional, or cold-pressed methods. Steam Distillation is popularly used to produce essential oils. We at JC follow single steam distillation. This ensures that temperature sensitive compounds are not compromised during the process.
Benefits of Essential Oils for Hair
Studies have shown how every essential oil works on different factors for scalp health. These include hair growth, reduce hair fall, decrease itchy scalp/dandruff, reduce hair loss caused in alopecia areata. Circulate blood flow on the scalp promoting healthy hair growth.
- Act as a Hair Growth Elixir - Essential Oils often help with hair growth, strengthening the roots or hair, and stimulate hair growth. Massage some in the hair roots for effective results. Studies have proved it to be effective. This study states how Rosemary Essential Oil helps with androgenetic alopecia (AGA)
Reduce Hair Fall - Almost every one of us faces this issue. Rosemary Essential Oil is perfect to combat hair fall issues. Dilute few drops to your favorite carrier oil
Unclog Hair Follicles - Clogged hair follicles stop hair growth and there is a stagnant phase. Essential Oils like Tea Tree Oil come to the rescue.
Manages Flaky/Dry/Itchy Scalp - Essential Oils like Tea Tree or Peppermint help control dandruff & relieve itching. These oils are super-rich and powerful in anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial properties. This hair oil enriched with Lemon & Peppermint essential oils helps relieve itchy scalp and dandruff.
Promotes good Scalp Health - Essential Oils help to manage scalp health. This includes clearing scalp build-up, and moisturizing the scalp. A healthy scalp leads to steady hair growth and is necessary for good hair growth. Our Hair oil with Lavender Essential Oil helps with dry hair, frizz, hair growth, and hair fall
- Manage Oily Scalp - Managing an oily scalp can be tricky! Essential Oils help regulate oil production on the scalp
- Add that Shine - Yes, you read it right! Essential oils make the dull and damaged hair shiny too
Can essential oils stop hair fall & regrow hair?
Right essential oils diluted in appropriate quantities with carrier oils along with a healthy lifestyle can positively contribute to healthy hair and boost hair growth too.
Many of them ask about which oil is good for hair growth? One of the research studies talks about the clinical efficacy of rosemary essential oil in issues like androgenetic alopecia (AGA). This study noticed that the hair count drastically increased at the end of 6 months. It also helped with the scalp itching. Rosemary played a significant role to strengthen the hair follicles with improved blood circulation.
Peppermint is known for its cooling properties. It has a compound known as menthol. Studies even prove that this oil causes speedy growth in the anagen phase (active hair growth phase). It increases hair follicle growth. Lavender has antibacterial properties and this helps with overall good scalp health. (It speeds up hair growth too as per this study that was conducted on mice). Tea Tree due to its higher cleansing properties helps to unclog hair follicles, this induces hair growth. Studies prove the efficacy of Lavender and Tea Tree Essential Oil for head lice.
How to use essential oils for hair?
Essential Oils are easy to use. The key to use is dilute!
Dilute with a carrier oil and use it as a hair oil 2 or 3 times a week. Massage it well on the scalp. Massage gently to boost blood circulation on the scalp
Use Essential Oil in your hair masks. They have added benefits when used with potent powders like Brahmi or Curry Leaf Powder. Mix 2 spoons of Kaolin Clay + Neem Powder with 2 drops of Tea Tree Oil. Apply this hair mask and keep it for 20 mins. Rinse with a mild shampoo and a conditioner
- Dilute some lavender essential oil with any hair carrier oil. Rub this on the palm and add it to your hair ends. This adds shine, volume and helps you to sleep well
How to choose the right essential oil?
The foremost step in picking the right essential oil is to understand the concern you want to cater to. Different essential oils work for different concerns. For instance, tea tree oil diluted with any carrier oil will help with the itchy and dandruff-prone scalp. Rosemary for hair growth and Lavender for a soothing effect.
If it is a major issue like postpartum hair fall, it is necessary to be consistent with a regular fixed hair care regime. Nothing can improve or change in a day or month. Consistency is the key!
Juicy Chemistry's range of essential oils
We at JC have Essential Oils that are Cosmos organic certified by Ecocert Greenlife according to COSMOS standards.
- Lemon essential oil helps in dandruff issues. It works best for oily scalp or acne-prone scalp. Balances the scalp oil build-up.
- On the other hand, Peppermint Essential Oil helps to stimulate blood circulation in the hair. It is all about a healthy scalp and adds a cooling effect too
- Lavender is the oil for hair growth, it also soothes and hence induces sleep. Helps with dry scalp issues as well
- Tea Tree essential oil often works for dandruff-prone or itchy scalp. It helps with the flaky scalp. Add a few drops to your favorite carrier oil and use as a hair oil
- Rosemary is warm and woody that adds stimulation to the hair. Boost your hair growth with rosemary essential oil. Include it in your hair care regime for thick and strong tresses
- Our Blood Orange essential oil works best for dandruff, sebum production, and soothes the inflamed scalp
Why choose JC’s Essential Oils?
All our oils are free of any additives. They are COSMOS Certified Organic, Eco-cert (France). They are Dermatologically Tested for Safety and Irritation.
Can I use essential oils on my teenage daughter?
Yes, dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil prior to use. Consult a dermatologist in case of any allergies or sensitivities.
Can pregnant or breastfeeding women use Essential Oils?
Being potent in nature, it is always advised to seek help from your doctor.
How to do a Patch Test?
Every Essential Oil works differently on an individual’s scalp. A Patch Test is always recommended. Dilute it with a carrier oil and apply it to the forearm/ inner elbow or hairline. Let it stay on for 24 hours. If there is any irritation, wash it with a mild soap. Do not apply it again, consult with a dermatologist.
Studies & References