All The Benefits And Uses of Orange Oil For SkinMay 24, 2021
Eating oranges provides a myriad of health benefits for your body. But using orange oil for skin can prove to be equally beneficial.
Orange oil is an essential oil i.e it has a high concentration of volatile compounds. It is extracted via steam distillation of orange peel and has a pleasant, citrusy aroma. There are different varieties of orange oils used in skincare but the most commonly used varieties are sweet orange oil (Citrus Sinensis) and blood orange(Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) oil.
Both variants of orange oil are rich in antioxidants that can protect your skin from harmful free radical damage.
Nutritional Value Of Orange Essential Oil
Orange essential oil contains monoterpenes like linalool, d-limonene, a-pinene, and various other volatile and non-volatile compounds. Studies show that orange oil has antibacterial, antifungal, pain relief, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and insecticidal properties.
Inhaling orange EO can help reduce symptoms of anxiety and improve mood. The high limonene content of oil helps scavenge free radicals that could harm healthy cells. It can also inhibit the growth of several bacteria and fungi. When used on the skin, orange oil helps promote clarity, fights inflammation and acne, and keeps our skin fresh.
Benefits Of Orange Oil For Skin
- Helps reduce acne: due to its antimicrobial nature, orange essential oil can help reduce acne-causing bacteria. It can also help reduce inflammation caused by acne.
- Facilitates massage: When used as a massage oil, it helps improve blood circulation and also relieves joint pain.
- Protects from damage: The high amount of limonene helps protect your skin from damage inflicted by pollution, smoke, and sun rays.
- Improves the appearance of pores: The oil has an astringent effect on the skin that helps tighten pores and regulate sebum levels.
- Anti Aging properties: Due to its antioxidant properties, orange oil can help slow down skin aging by minimizing free radical damage.
- Reduces inflammation: The anti-inflammatory nature of this essential oil helps reduce redness and swellings.
- Improves Radiance: By boosting blood flow to the skin, orange oil helps deliver essential nutrients to the skin and thereby imparts a healthy glow.
- Deodorizes skin: The uplifting, pleasant aroma of orange essential oil can help neutralize bad body odor.
- Increases clarity: Orange oil can help improve skin clarity and even out skin tone by reducing blemishes.
- Promotes wound healing: Due to its high antioxidant content, this oil can help support healthy collagen production for healing wounds faster. It also helps prevent wounds from getting septic with its antimicrobial effect.
How To Use Orange Oil For Skin
There are various ways to use orange oil for your skin. Here are few ways you can incorporate this uplifting essential oil into your skincare routine.
- Dilute it with cold-pressed almond oil and use it as a body massage oil.
- Dilute it with cold-pressed jojoba oil and use it at the end of your skincare routine to fight off free radical damage.
- Add a few drops of orange oil into an aroma diffuser for aromatherapy.
Juicy Chemistry’s Blood Orange Essential Oil is certified organic by Ecocert as per Cosmos standards.
When using orange oil for skin, always ensure that you are diluting the orange essential oil within its dermal limits with a suitable carrier oil of your choice. At JC, we recommend that the concentration of essential oils should never exceed 1% of the total concoction. And always conduct a patch test to see if you are sensitive to orange oil.
Juicy Chemistry's Product Range Enriched with Orange Essential Oil
- Fig, Vanilla & Blood Orange Organic Body Butter: a body moisturizer for dry skin that helps soften and tone the skin.
- Blood Orange & Geranium Deodorant Stick: A handmade organic deodorant that keeps body odor away by refreshing your underarms.
- Blood Orange & Rosehip Lip Balm: A hydration lip butter that treats lip pigmentation.
- Blood Orange & Rosehip Lip Scrub: A nourishing exfoliator that removes dead skin from your lips.
- Kakadu Plum, Matcha & Blood Orange Face Mask: A hydrating face mask that brightens skin and reduces pigmentation.
- Kakadu Plum & Pomegranate Facial Oil: A lightweight Vitamin C-rich oil that reduces visible signs of aging.
- Papaya, Apricot & Mandarin Cold Pressed Soap: A handmade soap bar that rejuvenates dull skin.
- Grapefruit & Camellia Body Oil Organic Hydrating Body Oil: A lightweight body oil that hydrates skin and promotes even skin tone.
1. Is orange oil suitable for all skin types?
Yes, orange oil is suitable for all skin types. But we highly recommended conducting a patch test before using any essential oil on your skin.
2. Can I use orange oil in my morning routine?
When used under dermal limits, products with orange oil have a low risk of phototoxicity. However, exercise caution when stepping out in the sun.
3. Why has the smell of orange oil changed?
The oil has gone rancid and should be discarded immediately.
4. Can the oil be used during pregnancy?
It is best to consult your physician before using any essential oil during pregnancy.
Add orange essential oil to your skincare routine for enhancing clarity, freshness, and youthful glow.