Onions are widely recognized for their healing properties including antibacterial, stimulating, nourishing and cleansing effects. They are also abundantly rich in sulphur. Sulphur is present in every cell of our body with highest concentration in hair, skin and nails. Also known as the ‘beauty mineral’ sulphur helps boost circulation and soothe inflammation.
They are also rich in vitamins C and B6, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and germanium that help in promoting healthy scalp and make hair stronger, healthier and shinier.
Onion juice for Hair GrowthOnion is a versatile vegetable and can be found easily in any Indian household. This popular ingredient is fondly used in a variety of Indian preparations and is also believed to help regulate body temperature as well as boost immunity.
But did you know that onion juice can also help you grow your hair longer and healthier?
Onions juice is widely recognised for its healing properties including antibacterial, stimulating, nourishing and cleansing effects. Its are also abundantly rich in sulphur which is present in every cell of our body with the highest concentration in hair, skin and nails.
Also known as the ‘beauty mineral’, sulphur helps boost circulation and soothe inflammation.
Onions are also rich in vitamins C and B6, calcium, magnesium, potassium, and germanium that help in promoting a healthy scalp and make hair stronger, healthier and shinier.
Onion Juice For Hair Growth
Onion juice helps improve blood circulation to the scalp thereby providing proper nutrition to the hair follicles. It is believed to not only soothe the scalp, and strengthen the strands but also lead to new hair growth.
A study tested the effectiveness of onion juice for hair in treating Alopecia areata (patchy, non‐scarring hair loss condition). When applied topically twice a day for a period of 8 weeks. It was observed that regrowth of terminal coarse hairs started after two weeks of treatment with onion juice.
At four weeks, hair re‐growth was seen in 17 patients (out of 23 patients) (73.9%), and, at six weeks, the hair re‐growth was observed in 20 patients (86.9%).
Benefits Of Onion Juice For Hair
Apart from hair regrowth, onion juice is also believed to offer the following hair care benefits
- Soothes The Scalp - Onion juice has natural anti-inflammatory properties that help soothe scalp irritations, regulate the scalp and promote a healthy scalp.
- Controls Dandruff - Owing to its antimicrobial and antifungal properties, onion juice helps control seasonal dandruff and nicely cleanses the scalp.
- Calms Itchy Scalp - Being a natural anti-inflammatory agent, onion juice also helps provide relief from irritated and itchy scalp.
- Reverses Greying - Onion juice is also believed to help with controlling premature greying. It contains a compound ‘catalase’ that is known to help control the early greying of roots and help restore the natural colour of the hair.
- Revitalises Dry Hair - Onions are rich in flavonoids that act as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. They also play a vital role in nourishing the scalp by enhancing blood flow to the scalp thereby revitalising dry and damaged hair.
How To Make Onion Juice For Hair
Here is one of the easiest ways of using onion juice for hair fall and other concerns. And you are most likely to have all the ingredients required for this method at home.
Divide the hair into various sections and start applying the juice directly onto the scalp with the help of a dropper. Massage it in with the tips of your fingers and let it rest for 15 mins or so. Use an organic shampoo to wash it off and let your hair air dry. Use it consistently once or twice a week for best results.
How To Use Onion Juice On Hair
You can also try one of these DIY recipes to cater to a specific concern-
- To soothe itchy scalp - Take 2 tsp of olive oil, 3 tsp of coconut oil and 5 tsp of onion juice. Mix well and apply directly to the scalp making different sections. Let it rest for 20 to 30 mins followed by a mild organic shampoo.
- To control dandruff - Take 1tsp of fenugreek seeds and soak them in 2 tsp of onion juice and water. Grind and make a paste. Apply the paste directly to the scalp. Keep it for 25 to 30 mins and wash it off.
- To moisturise the scalp - Mix 2 tsp of aloe vera gel with 3 tsp of onion juice. Apply onto the scalp and strands. Let it sit for 10 mins and wash it off.
- To reverse greying - Mix 2 tsp Brahmi, Amla and Bhringraj powder with 3 to 4 tsp of onion juice. Apply the paste onto the scalp and let it rest for 30 to 40 mins. Wash off using a mild organic shampoo.
The results using the above methods take time and do vary from individual to individual. We recommend using them consistently for at least a few months to see noticeable differences. We also highly recommend a patch test for all methods on the hairline or back of the neck prior to using it on the scalp..
Juicy Chemistry’s Certified Organic Onion Shampoo Bar
Our Hibiscus, Onion and Bhringraj Organic Shampoo Bar is made with the goodness of fresh onion juice and other hair loving herbs and botanicals. This hydrating shampoo bar gently cleanses the scalp and deeply nourishes the follicles.
Onion juice helps strengthen and nourish the hair while Hibiscus and Bhringraj help control greying. Other organic ingredients like Amla, Coconut, Jojoba, and Ashwagandha help promote scalp health and reduce hair fall
Is onion juice good for hair?
Yes, onion juice nourishes the scalp for healthy growth.
What are the side effects of onion juice on hair?
Some people may have an allergic reaction to it so it's always recommended to apply it to a small area like a patch test.
How often to apply onion juice on hair?
You can apply onion juice at least once a week for the best result.