How To Get Rid Of Dark Neck
Is your neck darker than your face or the rest of the body? Having uneven skin tone around the neck is quite common. It is caused by excessive melanin production in the skin.
While it is harmless, having pigmentation around the neck often makes people self-conscious about their appearance. And there could be various reasons to explain this pigmentation.
Sometimes it is simply due to neglecting the area and not cleansing it properly which may lead to a build-up of dirt making the skin look darker. Or it may be caused due to underlying medical conditions too.
Causes Of Pigmentation On Neck
When our skin is exposed to UV rays from the sun, it produces melanin as a defence mechanism to protect itself. This makes your skin look darker and leads to tanned skin. Regular exposure to sun rays can make your tan permanent leading to pigmentation.
We all are guilty of applying skincare products like moisturisers, scrubs, and face masks only to our faces. The neck is often left ignored. As a result, the skin on the neck turns dry and dull and has dead skin buildup.
Failure to cleanse the neck properly can also cause pigmentation on the neck due to the buildup of dirt, sweat, sebum, etc.
Dark neck can also be a side effect of certain medications or drugs you may take for an illness. It usually goes away once you stop taking the medication.
If you are pre-diabetic or diabetic, you may develop a skin condition called Acanthosis nigricans. This is a condition where the skin around your neck or armpits turns thick, dark, and velvety.
Apart from diabetes, people with high insulin levels or even hormonal imbalances may develop pigmentation around their neck area.
How To Get Rid Of Dark Neck
- Cleanse Everyday:
The first step to removing dark pigmentation around the neck is to keep your neck clean. Removing all debris of dirt will allow skincare products to penetrate your skin better. So while washing your face, make sure you also clean your neck.
- 1.Take a small quantity of a gentle face wash or cold-pressed soap and lather it up between your palms.
- 2.Massage it in circular motions and rinse with water.
- 3.Make sure to choose a cleanser that doesn’t leave your skin dry.
Removing dead skin cells is another important step that will help brighten and reduce dark pigmentation around the neck. Use a scrub that has mild granules and massage it on clean skin. We recommend exfoliating at least 1-2 times a week for a smoother, even-toned neck.
- Proper Skincare Routine:
Treat your neck with the same love and care you treat your face and body with. While washing your face, make sure you use the same cleanser on your neck too. After cleansing, apply a toner to hydrate the skin and restore pH balance. Then apply a facial oil to seal all the moisture and keep the skin soft and protected. 1-2 times a week, apply a skin-brightening face pack to reduce dark pigmentation around the neck.
Use Brightening Products:
When choosing skin care products, look for ingredients that are known for their skin brightening properties. For eg: Ingredients such as liquorice root, amla, kakadu plum, rose, etc. help inhibit tyrosinase, an enzyme responsible for melanin production. Even ingredients rich in polyphenols, Vitamin C, or AHAs can help you get rid of dark neck.
To prevent suntan as well as avoid further darkening of the dark neck, it is essential to wear broad-spectrum sunscreen every day. It will help prevent and reduce sun tan and also help prevent further darkening of the neck.
Eat A Wholesome Diet:
Make sure to include a lot of green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, and whole grains in your daily diet. They provide essential nutrients to your skin which helps improve cell turnover rate. Also, limit over-processed foods and drink a lot of fluids to stay hydrated.
If home remedies and skin care products don’t work and you have other symptoms such as being overweight, you should consult a medical professional. Conditions like acanthosis nigricans which are caused by underlying health conditions may be hard to reduce with skincare products unless the root cause is treated. So your doctor will help diagnose any medical condition and create a suitable treatment plan.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dark Neck:
Several home remedies are available in your kitchen and garden to help you get rid of dark neck.
- Rubbing raw potato slices every day can help lighten pigmentation due to the brightening properties of potatoes.
- Make a brightening face pack with turmeric, gram flour, and coconut milk. Apply it to the neck daily and leave it on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Aloe vera is another great home remedy as it has a compound called aloesin which helps fade pigmentation. Squeeze out fresh juice from the aloe vera leaf and massage it onto your neck. Rinse it with water after 15-20 minutes.
- Mix oatmeal and crushed rose petals with some water. Apply this one to the area and let it sit for 15 minutes before gently scrubbing it off. Rinse and pat dry.
- Use cold-pressed oils like olive oil or almond oil to moisturise your neck twice a day.
Juicy Chemistry's Products To Help Reduce Pigmentation On Neck
- Carrot, Rosehip & Neroli Organic Soap:
A handmade soap that helps reduce scarring, pigmentation, and uneven skin tone. It leaves skin nourished and helps improve the skin’s ability to absorb nutrients from the following products.
- Lime, Ginger & Rice Organic Soap:
A handmade superfatted soap that helps restore natural skin tone. It improves blood circulation and reduces discolouration in the skin.
- Kakadu Plum, Matcha & Blood Orange Face Mask:
A face mask rich in vitamins and antioxidants that helps reduce pigmentation, improve hydration, and draw out impurities from the skin.
- Saffron, Rose & Australian Sandalwood Face Scrub:
A gentle scrub that is rich in antioxidants and nourishing oils to ensure your skin is not stripped off of moisture. It removes dead skin and unclogs pores to improve skin brightness.
- Kakadu Plum & Pomegranate Facial Oil:
A lightweight and nourishing oil that is rich in vital nutrients and antioxidants. It will help improve the skin tone and texture while protecting the skin from environmental damage.
- Tamanu, Kakadu Plum & Frankincense Organic Face Wash:
A gentle face wash for damaged, pigmentated skin that helps cleanse without drying out the skin. It will help even out your complexion and boost radiance.
- Sugarcane & Grapefruit Organic AHA rich soap:
A handmade soap that deeply cleanses and exfoliates the skin while maintaining its natural glow and texture.
- Helichrysum & Rosehip Facial Oil:
A fast-absorbing oil that helps reduce scarring, pigmentation while protecting the skin from free radical damage.
- Camellia & Red Raspberry Certified Natural Sunscreen:
A water-resistant, non-comedogenic and broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 that helps fight sun damage.
- Do I need a separate cleanser for my neck?
No, you can use the same cleanser that you use for your face.
- Do I need to use sunscreen every day?
Yes, it is recommended to use sunscreen every day for optimum protection against sun damage.
- Is dark neck treatable?
While reducing pigmentation takes time, it can be reduced in most cases with a consistent skincare routine and home remedies.