Almonds are good for snacking, but do you know almond oil is beneficial for the face and skin? Almond oil, obtained by pressing the nuts, is the unrefined and the purest form of oil that is packed with essential nutrients. Since ages, it is used as a massage oil. It moisturises skin, gives a natural glow and prevents early signs of ageing. But how would you know which almond oil is better?
There are two types of almond oils – Bitter almond oil and Sweet almond oil.
Bitter almond oil is extracted from short bitter almonds. It has a strong fragrance and is used for aromatherapy. Bitter almond oil is not suitable for the face and skin because it has glycoside amygdalin, which is only used for few medicinal purposes.
Sweet almond oil is extracted from edible almonds (the ones which we eat). It has high nutritional value, proteins, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Omega-6 fatty acids, which makes it suitable for the face and skin. According to FDA, it is used in various cosmetic formulations to enhance the benefits of each product.
Almond Oil Benefits for Face and Hair
Almond oil is suitable for all skin types, but always patch test before first use.
Almond oil is a lightweight, non-greasy oil that penetrates into the skin easily. It provides moisturisation to your skin, makes it soft and radiant. Cold-pressed sweet almond oil is best suitable for dry and sensitive skin types.
Lightens Blemishes, Scars and Stretch Marks
As mentioned above, almond oil is packed with powerful ingredients like zinc which heals your blemishes, fades away scars and reduces stretch marks. If you are pregnant then massage sweet almond oil from the first month to control itchiness and stretch marks.
Reduces Dark Circles and Puffiness
Why do dark circles occur? The major reason is lack of sleep and having an unbalanced diet. Almond oil works best to reduce dark circles and puffiness. Massage a few drops of almond oil every night around your eye area with your ring finger. Be careful, it should not go into your eyes. Leave it overnight and after 2-4 weeks you would see visible results.
Fades Away Tan and Promotes Even Skin Tone
Almond oil has good massaging properties. As it penetrates into the skin, it provides essential nutrients to the skin’s cells. Regular massaging of almond oil on the face and skin helps to reduce tan and achieve even-toned skin. Massage almond oil on face and skin 30 mins before bath to improve your skin and keep it moisturised after bath.
Reduces Oil and Acne
Fatty Acids present in almond oil helps to get rid of excessive oil and debris accumulated in the pores. This makes our skin cleaner and clearer, which further reduces the occurrence of acne. Almond oil also contains retinol that improves cell turnover and reduces acne. Always patch test before first use and wait for 12-24 hours.
Reduces Skin Rashes
Almond oil has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which calms skin, reduces rashes and inflammation caused due to allergies, waxing or mosquito bites. Massage almond oil every day until your skin is back to normal.
Relieves Eczema, Psoriasis and Dryness
People with eczema, psoriasis and dry skin issues are recommended to keep their skin moisturised. Almond oil is one of the best moisturisers for them as it doesn’t have any side effects. It relieves their skin from itchiness, inflammation and worsening skin issues.
Reduces Sign of Ageing
Regular usage of almond oil on the face and skin reduces signs of ageing. If you start using it from your teens then it delays signs of ageing and gives naturally glowing skin. Some people also believe that it protects skin from the sun’s UV rays (due to the presence of Vitamin E), but there are no scientific studies to prove it.
Almond Oil Uses for Face and Hair
Almond oil can be used in different ways to nourish your face and skin.
As a makeup remover
Take an adequate amount of almond oil on your palm. Massage it on your face and neck to remove makeup. Wipe it off with wet cotton pads or wash off your face with lukewarm water. Use it as the first step of double cleansing to clean your face and pores. Wash your face with a mild cleanser after this.
As a moisturiser
Include almond oil in your night time skincare routine. Gently massage almond oil on a clean face until it absorbs well. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning. Also massage almond oil on your body to fade away blemishes, dryness and stretch marks.
As lip oil
Almond oil soothes, moisturises and promotes even-toned lips. Take 2 drops of almond oil and apply them over your lips. Gently massage until the oil is fully absorbed. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning.
Under Eye Oil
Almond oil helps to reduce dark circles and fine lines around eye area. Massage one drop of almon oil around your eye area with ring finger and leave it overnight. After few weeks, you would notice visible results, continue the usage to best results.
Juicy Chemistry’s Almond Oil is Certified Organic by Ecocert (France) in accordance with COSMOS V3 standard.
- JC Cold Pressed Sweet Almond Carrier Oil: It is a nourishing oil that improves dryness and conditions skin. It moisturises, delays the signs of ageing, gives a natural glow and promotes even-toned skin.
- JC Almond, Calendula & Vitamin E Baby Massage Oil: It is a deeply moisturising massage oil for babies. It calms and soothes their skin, reducing the occurrence of rashes.
- JC Damask Rose & Fig Lip Scrub: It is a gentle lip scrub that makes your lips pink, soft and moisturised.
- JC Neroli, Rosehip & Tamanu Organic Body Butter: This body butter is formulated with rich ingredients that will reduce pigmentation, stretch marks and dryness. It helps to improve skin’s barrier and promote even skin tone.
- JC Grapefruit & Patchouli Deodorant Stick: This is an organic deodorant that keeps underarms fresh and away from bad odour. It unclogs pores and makes skin soft and smooth.
- JC Damask Rose & Fig Lip Balm: This lip balm hydrates and moisturises lips, making them pink and softer with regular usage.
- JC Mango, Argan & Shea Baby Butter Cream: It is a nourishing body buttercream that makes skin soft and supple. With continuous usage, your skin would be brighter and even-toned.
- JC Fig, Vanilla & Blood Orange Organic Body Butter: It is a deeply hydrating body butter that keeps skin moisturised, soft and supple. It also promotes even tones skin, making it glow naturally.
- JC Australian Sandalwood & Myrrh Night Cream: This is a nourishing and moisturising night cream. Enriched with seed oils, it fades away blemishes, repairs skin and makes it clear, even-toned.
- JC Saffron & Red Raspberry Facial Oil: Enriched with essential oils, this facial oil moisturises skin and protects it from the damage caused due to the sun’s UV rays.
- JC Tuscany Lemon & Green Tea Lip Scrub: It is an exfoliating lip scrub that removes the dead layer. It hydrates, rejuvenates and makes lips softer and supple.
- JC Blood Orange & Rosehip Lip Scrub: It is a mild scrub that promotes even-toned, pink lips. It also nourishes lips and makes them soft and supple.
- JC Helichrysum & Rosehip Facial Oil: It is a fast-absorbing, lightweight oil that improves the health of the skin and fades away blemishes.
Almond oil has some amazing benefits for the face and skin but we highly recommend patch tests and using it with caution. Don’t overuse! Take professional guidance if necessary.
(PDF) Almond (Prunus dulcis) oil (researchgate.net)
The uses and properties of almond oil - PubMed (nih.gov)
Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils (nih.gov)