7 Effective Home Remedies For Tan Removal
If you spend a lot of time in the sun and notice your skin turning darker every time, you have a suntan. Most people consider suntan to be undesirable as it can make their skin appear dull and uneven.
If you too are wondering how to remove tan and get your glowing skin back, there are plenty of remedies available for tan removal.
What Is Sun Tanning?
Sun tan or tanning is a process of darkening of skin colour that occurs when your skin is exposed to sunlight or UV radiation. It is not to be confused with a sunburn which results in redness and burning sensation.
UVA rays emitted by the sun are primarily responsible for tanning, whereas UVB rays are more likely to be the culprit behind sunburn. Also, people with darker skin tones are more likely to tan as compared to lighter skin tones due to the presence of excessive melanin pigments.
Why Do We Tan?
The colour of our skin is determined by the amount of melanin produced by melanocytes in our bodies. Along with determining our skin and hair colour, melanin can also absorb UV radiation.
So a suntan is a defence mechanism adopted by our body to protect itself from UV rays. Excessive exposure to ultraviolet radiation can lead to oxidative stress in the body. Hence, our body tries to protect itself from such damage by increasing the production of melanin in the skin.
When you step out in the sun and UV rays hit your body, it triggers melanin production to shield the body from damage. And as melanin levels increase, our skin keeps turning darker resulting in suntan. So the longer you stay out in the sun, the darker your tan will be.
Natural Tan Removal Home Remedies
If you are wondering how to remove tan from hands and face, you have to look no further than your own kitchen. There are some amazing ingredients that work really well as tan removal home remedies. Here are some natural home remedies you can try for tan removal.
Orange Peel Powder:
Rose petals are rich in Vitamin A and C which have a brightening effect on the skin. Dried rose petal powder or freshly crushed rose petals can be mixed in with gram flour or powdered oats to create a de-tan face pack. Organic rose water can also be sprayed on the face as a soothing post-suncare remedy.
Aloe vera doesn’t just soothe sunburnt skin, but it can also help remove tan from face. The compound aloesin present in aloe vera leaf can help lighten the suntan by inhibiting tyrosinase activity. You can apply fresh aloe vera leaf juice all over the body to gently remove tan from your face..
Potato juice also has a lightening effect when applied to the skin. You can grate raw potato to extract its juice and apply it to tanned areas of your skin for tan removal.
Oatmeal is another good home remedy for sun tan removal. It gently exfoliates the topmost layer of skin which helps you get rid of tan. Make a scrub with plain oatmeal and water and massage it in a circular motion. Rinse with water and repeat 2-3 times a week.
Turmeric is well known for its skin brightening properties and can help get rid of tan effectively. You can prepare a turmeric face mask with a pinch of turmeric powder, gram flour and milk. Apply this over tanned skin and leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it away.
View this post on Instagram
Multani mitti or fuller’s earth clay can also help to remove sun tan with its mild exfoliating nature. Prepare a face mask with multani mitti and organic rose water and apply it to tanned skin for 10 minutes before rinsing off with water. Use this twice a week for the best results.
Home Remedies to Avoid
While some ingredients remove sun tan gently, others can irritate your skin barrier and cause your skin to become more prone to sun damage. Here are the remedies that you must avoid -
Lemon juice does have a bleaching effect on the skin. But its pH is too low which results in skin irritation and increased photosensitivity. So avoid applying lemon juice to your skin.
Baking soda scrub:
Baking soda has a high pH of 9 which again can irritate your skin’s barrier function. Hence, it is best to avoid using baking soda for tan removal.
Some ingredients present in toothpaste can end up irritating your skin so it is best to avoid using it anywhere on your skin.
Bleaching Kits :
There are plenty of DIY skin bleaching kits available that can irritate your skin and hence it’s best to avoid using any such remedies to remove tan.
Some Tips To Prevent Tanning
- Avoid stepping out of the house between 11-3 pm as the sun’s rays are strongest during this period. If you do step out during this time, try to stay in the shade.
- Wear full-sleeved clothes and cover your face with a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Apply sunscreen every day, even when indoors, to protect your skin from UV rays.
- Carry an umbrella when stepping out in the sun to block out some of the radiation.
How to Remove Sun Tan with Juicy Chemistry Products
- Lime, Ginger & Rice Organic Cold Pressed Soap - It is an organic handmade soap that helps reduce tan gently. Organic lime and ginger essential oils provide antibacterial properties to the skin and also help in fighting inflammation. Rice extract promotes hydration in the skin and provides anti-aging benefits.
- Potato, Tomato & Lemongrass Organic Cold Pressed Soap - It is an organic handmade soap that removes tan and pigmentation. Tomato and potato extracts even out skin discolouration and organic lemongrass essential oil prevents oxidative stress.
- Saffron, Rose & Australian Sandalwood Face Scrub - It is an organic facial scrub that gently exfoliates dead skin cells and improves the tone and texture of your skin.
- Kakadu Plum, Matcha & Blood Orange Face Mask - It is an organic face mask rich in plant-based Vitamin C which is found in organic kakadu plum fruit powder. It helps to reduce dark spots and soothe sun damaged areas of your skin.
View this post on Instagram
1. How long does it take to get rid of tan?
This depends on how old and severe the tan is. The older the tan, the longer it will take to remove it. You should usually notice an improvement within 2-3 weeks.
2. Can sunscreen prevent suntan?
Yes, wearing sunscreen can help prevent a suntan to an extent if you reapply it throughout the day. Make sure to use a broad spectrum sunscreen. Remember that complete prevention of suntan is only possible when you reduce your skin’s exposure to sun rays.
3. Can I get tan if my skin color is fair?
Yes, people of all skin tones can get tanned. However, people with darker skin tones tend to tan more easily.