Love eating avocado on toast? Tropical fruits like avocado are not just a delight to eat. They have some impressive uses in your skincare and haircare routine too.
Avocado oil is made from the pulp of the main fruit of the avocado tree. The fruits contain about 60% of oil content making them a healthy source of essential fatty acids. These fruits are first dried and then mechanically pressed to extract the liquid fat.
The oil has various health benefits and can be used for salad dressings, smoothies, and cooking your favorite foods. The key fatty acids found in avocado oil are Oleic acid, Palmitic acid, Palmitoleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, and Alpha-linolenic Acid. It also contains β-carotene, lecithin, minerals, and vitamins A, C, D, and E.
Since the oil contains high amounts of essential nutrients, antioxidants, and fats, you can use avocado oil for hair and face to utilize its wonderful benefits. It is easily absorbed by your skin and can be highly beneficial if you have dry skin or frizzy hair.
10 Benefits Of Avocado Oil For Your Skin & Hair
Moisturizes dry skin:
Using avocado oil for face helps keep your skin soft, moisturized, and hydrated. It is a wonderful emollient that helps prevent moisture loss and keeps your skin’s hydration levels intact by forming a protective barrier.
Avocado oil has anti-inflammatory properties as well. It will help reduce signs of inflammation such as itchiness caused due to eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis, or dry skin.
Heals wounds faster:
Studies have found that avocado oil can accelerate the wound healing process. It fastens the epithelialization process, increases collagen synthesis, and reduces inflammation which helps your wounds heal faster.
Protects skin from environmental damage:
Daily exposure to ultraviolet radiation from sun rays, smoke, and pollutants can lead to the formation of unstable molecules(free radicals) that damage your skin. And since the oil is rich in antioxidants like carotenoids, Vitamin C and E, using avocado oil for face helps minimize such environmental damage. These antioxidants neutralize the free radicals that can inflict damage on healthy skin cells when they try to stabilize themselves.
Avocado oil is a rich source of essential fatty acids like oleic acid which can soothe, protect, and help heal sunburned skin. It will strengthen your skin's barrier function, minimize redness, and support the healing process to ease symptoms of sunburn.
Anti Aging benefits:
A key benefit of using avocado oil for face is minimizing signs of aging. By fighting off free radicals and increasing collagen content in your skin, it helps reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots. It also helps retain your skin’s elasticity.
Heals chapped lips:
If you have dry, chapped lips, this oil can prevent moisture loss by keeping them well-moisturized. Avocado oil also forms a protective barrier over your lips and protects them from harsh climatic conditions.
Improves scalps health:
Using avocado oil for hair helps keep your scalp healthy. The vitamins and minerals nourish the hair follicles while the antioxidants prevent oxidative stress promoting healthy hair growth. And the fatty acids deeply moisturize your scalp to reduce dryness, itching, and flaking.
Tames frizzy hair:
You can use avocado in your hair care routine if you have extremely dry, frizzy, and unmanageable hair. The oil forms a protective coat over your hair strands and seals the cuticle to prevent moisture loss. This helps tame flyaways and frizzy hair and makes your hair softer and shinier.
Reduces hair breakage:
The nutrients from the oil can repair, protect and strengthen your hair. Using it as a hair oil makes detangling easier and reduces breakage and split ends by moisturizing and smoothening dry, brittle hair.
Different Forms Of Avocado Oil & Ways To Use Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is a carrier oil and can be applied directly to your skin and hair. It has a light green or emerald green color and can have a nutty aroma.
There are different types of avocado oil available due to variation in extraction techniques, choice of fruits, and levels of processing.
- Extra Virgin Oil is considered the best quality since it is made via cold-pressed extraction of high-quality fruits and no chemical solvents or processing is involved.
- Virgin Oil is also made through cold-pressed extraction techniques and without chemical solvents or processing. But the quality of avocado fruits used to extract the oil is low.
- Pure Avocado Oil is the least beneficial for skin and hair care needs since it is refined. It undergoes a deodorization and bleaching process to alter its color and smell which deteriorates its nutrient levels.
Juicy Chemistry’s Avocado Carrier Oil is made using the cold-pressed technique and is certified organic by EcoCert France. It is unrefined, undiluted, and free of chemical solvents or any artificial additives.
Here are a few ways to use avocado oil for hair and skin.
- Take a few drops of avocado oil and massage it onto damp skin. Use it at the end of your morning and evening skincare routine as a facial oil.
- Add a few drops of oil into your homemade face mask for added nourishment.
- Dab some oil on your lips twice a day to keep them soft and hydrated.
- Massage some oil onto your scalp and hair. Leave it on for 30 minutes or overnight and wash off with one of our gentle, organic shampoos.
- Rub a few drops on damp, towel-dried hair starting from mid-length to the ends to control frizz and make detangling easier.
Juicy Chemistry's Range Of Products Enriched With Avocado Oil
- Avocado, Coconut & Olive Gentle Head To Toe Baby Wash: A deeply hydrating body wash that keeps your baby’s skin soft and supple.
- Damask Rose & Fig Lip Scrub: An organic lip scrub that gently exfoliates the skin and prevents chapped lips
- Almond, Calendula & Vitamin E Baby Massage Oil: An organic massage oil that hydrates and soothes dry skin.
- Damask Rose & Coffee Eye Cream: A rich and nourishing organic eye cream to moisturize the delicate under-eye area.
- Saffron, Marula & Ylang Ylang Face Wash: A gentle, hydrating face wash for dull and mature skin types.
- Damask Rose & Fig Lip Balm: A nourishing organic lip balm that deeply hydrates dry, damaged lips.
- Damask Rose Ylang Ylang Body Oil: A hydrating nourishing oil blend that improves skin texture and soothes your senses.
All these JC products are certified organic by Ecocert France as per Cosmos Standards.
What skin types can use avocado oil?
The oil is best suited for dry, sensitive, aging, and mature skin types.
Will avocado oil suit oily skin types?
Due to its high oleic acid, we do not recommend this oil for oily skin types.
Can I use avocado oil for my baby?
The oil is generally considered safe to use for babies. But we highly insist on doing a patch test first to check for sensitivity and irritations.
Can I use avocado oil every day?
Avocado oil for hair can be used 2-3 times a week. For skin, it can be used daily as a facial oil.
What hair types can use avocado oil?
Avocado Oil is best suited for dry, frizzy, damaged hair and scalp.
Can avocado oil clog pores?
The oil has a comedogenic rating of 2-3. So depending on your skin type, it may cause moderately low pore-clogging.
Avocado oil is a wonderful source of nourishment for your skin and hair. Incorporate in your skin and hair care routine to keep them strong and healthy.