A staple in the Mediterranean diet and culture, olive oil is said to be one of the healthiest fats on earth. Made from pressing the fruits of the olive tree, it is also an excellent emollient for our skin and hair.
The oil contains essential fatty acids, triglycerides, tocopherols, carotenoids, squalene, and various phenolic compounds that make it a superfood for your hair. You can use olive oil for hair growth, deep conditioning, and making your hair more manageable.
Can Olive Oil Help Improve Hair Growth?
Olive oil is a true superfood for hair. It penetrates easily into our scalp and supplies it with various vitamins, antioxidants, and bioactive compounds to keep it well-nourished.
Since the oil is abundant in antioxidants such as tocopherols, carotenoids, and phytosterols, it can scavenge free radicals that attack healthy cells and cause oxidative stress.
A study on mice also found that a polyphenol called oleuropein present in olives can induce the anagen phase of hair growth when applied topically. So olive oil can indeed support the hair growth process by keeping your scalp and hair follicles nourished and preventing damage.
How Is Olive Used To Stop Hair Fall & Make It Strong
Olive oil is often used in conditioners, hair serums, and shampoos. But the best way to use olive oil for hair growth and making your hair stronger and healthier is to apply it directly on your scalp as hair oil.
The oil moisturizes your hair and scalp which reduces hair fall during the hair wash process. The quantity to be used depends on your hair density and length. After applying the oil make sure to gently massage the scalp for a few minutes to boost blood circulation.
You can also add olive oil to your diet to nourish your hair follicles internally.
Other Benefits Of Olive Oil For Hair
- Moisturizes dry hair: Due to high amounts of fatty acids, especially oleic acid, olive oil has a deep conditioning effect that softens and moisturizes dry hair and scalp.
- Tames frizz: The oil smoothens the cuticle layer of the hair strands to reduce moisture loss and tame frizzy hair.
- Protect from damage: The antioxidants present in olive oil protect your hair from environmental stressors such as sun rays and pollution.
- Soothes scalp: Olive oil has anti-inflammatory properties which provide relief from itching and other signs of irritations.
- Improve scalp health: The phenolic compounds oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol have antimicrobial properties and can keep your scalp healthy by preventing infections including lice.
- Reduces hair fall: Regular use of olive oil can strengthen your hair and reduce hair fall, split ends, and hair breakage by preventing moisture loss and making it easier to detangle your hair.
- Improves hair shine: Using olive oil for hair adds shine by enhancing softness and making your hair more manageable and bouncy.
Different Ways To Use Olive For Hair Care
There are different types of olive oil available in the market. For hair care purposes, we recommend using extra virgin olive oil since it is the least processed and extracted without solvents. It also retains the highest amount of nutrients since it is made using cold-pressed extraction.
Here are a few ways to use olive oil in your hair care routine.
As a Deep Conditioning Ritual
Massage a generous quantity of oil into your scalp and through hair strands starting from roots to tips. Leave it on for 30 minutes or overnight and wash it off with one of our gentle, organic shampoos.
As a Hair Serum
Take a few drops of olive oil and rub it into damp, towel-dried hair post shampoo as frizz-control serum. Allow your hair to air dry for the best results.
As a Carrier Oil
You can use olive oil for hair growth and dandruff control by using it as a carrier oil to dilute our certified organic tea tree and rosemary essential oils. If you are taking 100ml olive oil make sure the concentration of essential oils does not exceed 1ml.
Juicy Chemistry's Products Enriched With Olive Oil
- Sacha Inchi, Lemon & Peppermint Organic Hair Oil: A lightweight hair oil that soothes itchy scalp and controls dandruff.
- Marula, Argan & Lavender Hair Oil: A soothing hair oil that controls hair loss and deeply conditions the hair.
- Neem Butter, Pumpkin & Ginger Hair Mask: A pre-shampoo hair mask that soothes the scalp and nourishes your hair.
- Avocado, Coconut & Olive Gentle Head To Toe Baby Wash: A deeply hydrating body wash for babies that keeps skin soft and supple.
We use olive oil along with other carrier oils and organic butters for the saponification of our organic shampoos and shampoo bars. It makes them superfatted and extremely hydrating. Shop them here
All these JC products are certified organic by Ecocert as per Cosmos Standards.
Will olive oil suit my scalp?
Yes, olive oil is suitable for oily, dry, and even sensitive skin types.
Are there any side effects of using olive oil for hair growth?
If you are allergic to olives or have experienced sensitivity while using olive oil before, you may experience some side effects. We highly recommend conducting a patch first to check for sensitivity and signs of irritation.
How often can I use olive oil for hair?
You can use olive 2-3 times a week in your hair care routine.
Add olive oil to your hair care routine to soothe, nourish and strengthen your hair.