Argan oil, also known as ‘liquid gold’ is derived from kernels of the Argan tree from Morocco. Pure argan oil has been used since ages for various purposes like cooking, skin, hair and nails. Nowadays, Argan oil is used as a nourishing and moisturising ingredient in skin and hair products.
Can Argan Hair Oil Regrow Hair?
Argan Oil contains fatty acids and phenolic compounds, which provide essential nutrients to hair follicles and improve hair growth. It is also rich in minerals, antioxidants and Vitamin E that is essential for healthy hair. It also adds shine and brings life to dull hair. Massage a few drops of argan oil on the scalp and leave it overnight. Wash off with a mild shampoo the next day. Repeat this for at least 2-3 months to see better results.
Although there isn’t any research that proves argan oil is good for hair regrowth, but few studies indicate that its nutrients may reduce hair damage, frizz and help in regrowth. The richness of antimicrobial and antibacterial properties, improve scalp’s health and reduce infections. Argan oil also helps in the better production of keratin, which helps to stimulate hair growth and extend the life of hair follicles, making hair stronger.
Argan Oil Benefits for Hair
Argan oil is a wonderful ingredient for your hair. It has many benefits:
- The powerful antioxidants, keep hair stronger and reduce hair breakage and hair loss to some extent.
- Argan oil when applied on hair strands as a leave-in conditioner, forms a protective layer and reduces frizz and adds shine to the hair.
- Argan oil has antimicrobial and antioxidant properties that help to maintain a healthy scalp, reduce hair loss and make hair stronger from roots.
- Argan oil is rich in linoleic acid, oleic acid and palmitic acid which form a protective layer and prevents hair damage caused due to regular styling. It also reduces split ends and makes hair stronger and thicker.
- Argan oil has been used in Morocco to protect hair from the damage caused due to ultraviolet rays.
- Argan oil has anti-inflammatory properties that nourish the scalp, reduces itchiness, dandruff and makes hair follicles stronger. It also promotes better new hair growth.
- It is beneficial for colour treated hair, helps to maintain colour and shine, extending the life of hair colour.
- Argan oil has smaller molecules that penetrate in the hair cuticles, making hair soft and easier to manage. It also helps to reduce tangles and add moisture to hair strands.
How to Use Argan Hair Oil?
As hair oil (before or after hair wash)
Take very few drops of argan hair oil (too many drops can make hair greasy) and massage onto your scalp and hair strands. Massage well and let it sink in. After 2 minutes comb to spread the oil onto each strand.
As scalp oil
If you have an itchy or flaky scalp then argan oil will improve overall health. Section your hair, add 2-3 drops of oil on each section and massage well. Massage for 7-10 minutes onto the scalp and leave it for 1 hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo and use a leave-in conditioner. Repeat this every week to see results in 4-6 weeks.
As a hair mask
Add few drops of argan oil into your regular hair oil. You can also add 1 drop of hibiscus, rosemary or peppermint oil (1% essential oils should be used as they are strong to be applied directly) to increase the benefits for your scalp and hair. Mix well. Apply hair oil all over your scalp and hair strands. Massage well for 10 minutes and wrap your hair with a warm towel. This will help the oil to sink in better and avoid staining your clothes. After 30 minutes, wash your hair with a mild shampoo. Apply few drops of argan oil as a leave-in conditioner to keep your hair manageable.
As a leave-in conditioner
Argan oil is a good conditioner that reduces frizz, makes hair smoother and keeps them manageable. Section your hair into two parts. Take 2-3 drops of argan hair oil on your palm. Rub it to warm the oil and apply from the middle length of your hair to the bottom. Massage it well in one direction (downwards). Leave it for 2 minutes and comb hair to spread it evenly. You can apply this on half-dried hair or fully dried hair.
As a heat protectant
Before styling hair, apply few drops of argan oil on your hair. Leave it for 5 minutes and then start with hair styling. This will protect your hair from damage and will reduce the time needed to style (as the hair becomes soft and manageable).
JC’s products with Argan Oil
Juicy Chemistry’s Argan Oil is Certified Organic by Ecocert (France) in accordance with COSMOS V3 standard.
- JC Cold Pressed Argan Carrier Oil: It is a nourishing and moisturising oil for skin and hair. It improves elasticity and hydrated skin. It makes hair smoother and improves the texture.
- JC Sacha Inchi, Argan & Mango Butter Hair Mask: It deeply nourishes hair and provides essential moisturisation. It makes hair strands softer and stronger.
- JC Marula, Argan & Lavender Hair Oil: This is best suitable for dry, frizzy and unmanageable hair. With regular usage, it makes hair softer and smoother.
- JC Neem Butter, Pumpkin & Ginger Hair Mask: This is a conditioning pre-shampoo mask that provides essential nutrients, soothes the scalp and adds shine to hair strands.
- JC Apple Cider Vinegar, Argan & Ylang Ylang Shampoo: This shampoo is packed with nutrients that soothe, calm and clean your scalp. It makes hair smoother and reduces dryness.
- JC Camellia, Amla & Apricot Leave in Conditioner: It is a nourishing balm that add radiance, softness and shine to hair, without making it greasy. It also helps to reduce tangles and keep hair manageable.
Argan oil is beneficial for hair but we highly recommend patch tests and using it with caution. Don’t overuse! Take professional guidance if necessary.
Hair Cosmetics: An Overview (nih.gov)
Nutraceutical potentialities of Tunisian Argan oil based on its physicochemical properties and fatty acid content as assessed through Bayesian network analyses - PubMed (nih.gov)
Evidence of hypolipemiant and antioxidant properties of argan oil derived from the argan tree (Argania spinosa) - PubMed (nih.gov)